The flavor of the cake will improve if it is
stored in an airtight container for several days or a week before serving.
Ingredients : Makes 16-20 squares
Butter or margarine, diced
Dark brown sugar
Bicarbonate of soda
Icing sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 180oC/350oF/Gas
- Grease and line the base of a 20 cm
square cake tin. Gently heat together the milk, syrup, treacle, butter
or margarine and sugar, stirring until smooth. Do not allow the mixture
- Stir together the flour, bicarbonate
of soda, ginger and oatmeal. Make a well in the centre, pour in the egg,
then slowly pour in the warmed mixture, stirring to make a smooth
- Pour the batter into the tin and bake
for about 45 minutes, until firm to the touch.
- Cool slightly in the tin, then cool
completely on a wire rack.
- Cut into squares and dust with icing
More Traditional Cakes Recipes