Poppy Seed Cake with Lemon
Ingredients : Makes one 20cm baba cake
1 3/4 cups
Finely grated lemon rind
Eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to moderate 180oC.
Brush a deep, 20cm baba tin with melted butter or oil.
- Sift flour into large mixing bowl. Add
the poppy seeds. Make a well in the centre.
- Combine butter, sugar, jam, rind and
juice in a medium pan. Stir over low heat until butter has melted and
sugar has dissolved, remove from heat.
- Add the butter mixture to the dry
ingredients. Using a whisk, stir until just combined, add eggs, mix
well, do not over beat.
- Pour mixture into prepared tin, smooth
surface. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until skewer comes out clean when
inserted in centre of cake.
- To make Lemon Syrup - Combine
sugar, juice and water in medium pan. Stir constantly over low heat
until mixture boils and sugar has dissolved. Reduce heat, simmer without
stirring, uncovered, until mixture has thickened and has reduced by one
third. Remove from heat, leave 2 minutes for bubbles to subside.
- Pour hot syrup over warm cake in tin.
Leave until all syrup is absorbed. Turn onto plate. Serve warm with