Date and Walnut Loaf Recipe
Ingredients : Makes one 21cm oblong cake
1 1/2 cups
Soft brown sugar
Finely chopped dates
Bicarbonate of soda
- Preheat oven to moderate 180oC.
Brush a deep, 21 x 14 x 7 cm loaf tin with melted butter or oil, line base
and side with paper, grease paper.
- Combine butter, honey, sugar and milk
in a medium pan. Stir over low heat until butter has melted and sugar
has dissolved, remove from heat.
- Add dates and soda, stir, set aside to
cool. Sift flour with nutmeg into large mixing bowl. Add the walnuts.
Make a well in the centre.
- Add butter mixture and eggs to dry
ingredients. Using a wooden spoon, stir until well combined, do not over
- Pour mixture evenly into prepared tin; smooth
surface. Bake for 1 hour or until skewer comes out clean when
inserted in centre of cake.
- Leave in tin 10 minutes before turning
onto wire rack to cool.
- Serve loaf with butter if desired.