This Russian yeast cake is a traditionally
made at Easter time.
Ingredients : Makes 2 cakes
A pinch of
25 g each
7.5 - 10 ml
Easy blend dried yeast
Ground cardamom seed
Eggs plus 2 egg yolks
Vanilla pod, finely chopped
Crystallized ginger, mixed peel,
almonds and currants, chopped
Icing sugar, sifted
Drop of almond essence
- Blend together the yeast, milk, 25 g
sugar and 50 g flour. Leave in a warm place for 15 minutes, until
frothy. Soak the saffron in the rum for 15 minutes.
- Sift together the remaining flour and
spices and rub in the butter.
- Stir in the rest of the sugar.
- Add the yeast mixture, saffron liquid
and remaining ingredients. Knead until smooth. Put in an oiled bowl,
cover and leave until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 190oC/375oF/Gas
5. Grease, line and flour two 500 g coffee tins or 15 cm clay
- Punch down the dough and form into two
rounds. Press into the tins or pots, cover and leave for 30 minutes.
Bake for 35 minutes for the pots or 50 minutes for the tins. Cool.
- Mix together the icing sugar, water
and almond essence. Pour over the cakes. Decorate with the candles, nuts
More Special Occasion Cakes Recipes