Rich Fruit Cake Recipe
Ingredients : Makes 23 x 8cm
For the decoration:
Glace cherries, halved
Dark brown sugar
Eggs, at room temperature
Ground ginger, allspice and cinnamon
Crystallized citrus fruit slices
- A day in advance, combine the dried
fruit and cherries in a bowl. Stir in the sherry, cover and soak
- Preheat the oven to 150oC/300oF/Gas
2. Line and grease a 23 x 8cm spring form tin with greaseproof paper.
Place a tray of hot water on the bottom of the oven.
- Cream the butter and sugar. Beat in
the eggs, 1 at a time. Sift the flour, baking powder and spices together
three times. Fold into the butter mixture in three batches. Fold in the
syrup, milk, dried fruit and liquid, mixed peel and nuts.
- Spoon into the tin, spreading out so
there is a slight depression in the center. Bake for about 2 1/2 - 3
hours. Cover with foil when the top is golden to prevent over-browning.
Cool in the tin on a rack.
- Melt the marmalade over a low heat,
then brush over the top of the cake. Decorate with the crystallized
citrus fruit slices and glace cherries.