Pineapple Coconut Cake
Ingredients : Makes one 20cm baba cake
1 1/2 cups
Eggs, lightly beaten
Unsweetened crushed pineapple, well drained
Desiccated coconut, extra
Milk toasted shredded coconut, optional, for
- Preheat oven to moderate 180oC.
Brush a deep, 20cm baba tin with melted butter or oil. Coat base
and sides evenly with desiccated coconut, shake off excess.
- Using electric beaters, beat the oil,
eggs, sugar and the essence in a small mixing bowl at high speed for 3
minutes or until mixture is thick and increased in volume.
- Transfer mixture to large mixing bowl,
add pineapple and coconut.
- Using a metal spoon, fold in the
sifted flour alternately with the milk. Stir until just combined and the
mixture is almost smooth.
- Spoon mixture evenly into prepared tin,
smooth surface. Bake for 45 minutes or until skewer comes out clean when
inserted in centre of cake.
- Leave cake in tin for 5 minutes before turning
it onto wire rack to cool.
- To make Pineapple Icing -
Combine sifted icing sugar, juice and butter in a small heatproof bowl.
Stand bowl in a pan of simmering water, stirring mixture until the
butter has melted and the icing is glossy and smooth. Cool slightly.
- Using a spoon, drizzle the icing over
the top of the cake, allowing it to run freely down the sides. Scatter
the toasted, shredded coconut over the cake, if using.