Wholemeal Rolls Recipe
Ingredients : Makes 12
Active dried yeast
Bicarbonate of soda
Butter, at room temperature
Beaten egg, to glaze
- In a large bowl, combine the yeast,
water and sugar. Stir, and leave for 15 minutes to dissolve.
- Add the buttermilk, bicarbonate of
soda, salt and butter and stir to blend.
- Stir in the wholemeal flour. Add just
enough of the plain flour to obtain a rough dough.
- Knead on a floured surface until
smooth. Divide into three equal parts. Roll each into a cylinder, then
cut in four.
- Grease a baking sheet. Form the pieces
into torpedo shapes, place on the baking sheet, cover and leave in a
warm place until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 200oC /
400oF / Gas 6. Brush the rolls with the egg.
- Bake until firm, about 15 - 20
minutes. Leave to cool on a wire rack.