Wholemeal Bread Recipe
Ingredients : Makes one 23 x 13cm loaf
Active dried yeast
Wheatgerm milk, to glaze
- Warm the flour and salt in a bowl in
the oven at its lowest setting for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, combine the
yeast with half of the water and leave to dissolve.
- Make a central well in the flour. Pour
in the yeast mixture, the remaining water, honey, oil and wheatgerm.
Stir from the centre until smooth.
- Grease a 23 x 13cm loaf tin. Knead the
dough just enough to shape into a loaf. Put it in the tin and cover with
a plastic bag.
- Leave in a warm place until the dough
is about 2.5cm higher than the tin rim, about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 200oC /
400oF / Gas 6. Brush the loaf with milk, and bake until base
sounds hollow when tapped, about 35-40 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack.