White Bread Recipe
Ingredients : Makes two 23 x 13 cm loaves
Active dried yeast
Butter or margarine, at room temperature
- Combine the water, yeast and 15 ml
sugar in a measuring jug and leave for 15 minutes until frothy.
- Pour the milk into a large bowl.
- Add the remaining sugar, the butter or
margarine, and salt.
- Stir in the yeast mixture, then stir
in the flour, 150 g at a time, until a stiff dough is obtained.
- Transfer the dough to a floured
surface. Knead the dough until it is smooth and elastic, then place it
in a large greased bowl, cover with a plastic bag, and leave to rise in
a warm place until doubled in volume, about 2-3 hours.
- Grease two 23 x 13cm tins. Punch down
the dough and divide in half. Form into loaf shapes and place in the
tins, seam-sides down.
- Cover and leave to rise again until
almost doubled in volume, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile preheat the oven to 190oC
/ 375oF /
- Bake until firm and brown, about 45-50
- Turn out and tap the base of a loaf,
if it sounds hollow the loaf is done.
- If necessary, return to the oven and
bake for a few minutes longer. Turn out and cool on a wire rack.