Walnut Bread Recipe
Ingredients : Makes one loaf
Active dried yeast
Walnut pieces, plus more to decorate
Egg, beaten, to glaze
- Combine the flours and salt in a large
bowl. Make a well in the centre and add 250ml of the water, the honey
and the yeast. Set aside until the mixture is frothy.
- Add the remaining water. With a wooden
spoon, stir from the centre, incorporating flour with each turn, to
obtain a smooth dough.
- Add more flour if the dough is too
sticky and use your hands if the dough becomes too stiff to stir.
- Transfer to a floured board and knead,
adding flour if necessary, until the dough is smooth and elastic. Place
in a greased bowl and roll the dough around in the bowl to coat
thoroughly on all sides. Cover with a plastic bag and leave in a warm
place until doubled in volume.
- Punch down the dough and knead in the
- Grease the baking sheet. Shape the
dough into a round loaf and place on the baking sheet.
- Press in walnut pieces to decorate the
top. Cover loosely with a damp cloth and leave to rise in a warm place
until doubled in size, 25-30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 220oC/425oF/Gas
- With a sharp knife, score the top.
Brush with the beaten egg. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Lower the heat to 190oC/375oF/Gas 5
and bake until the base sounds hollow when tapped, about 40 minutes.
Cool on a rack.