Spiral Herb Bread Recipe
Ingredients : Makes two 23 x 13cm loaves
1 large bunch
Active dried yeast
Strong white flour
Parsley, finely chopped
Spring onions, chopped
Garlic, finely chopped
Salt and ground black pepper
Egg, lightly beaten milk, for glazing
- Combine the yeast and 50ml cup of the
water, stir and leave for 15 minutes to dissolve.
- Combine the flour and salt in a large
bowl. Make a central well and pour in the yeast mixture and the
remaining water. With a wooden spoon, stir to a rough dough.
- Transfer to a floured surface, knead
until smooth. Return to the bowl, cover with a plastic bag, and leave
until doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, combine the butter,
parsley, spring onions and garlic in a large frying pan. Cook over a low
heat, stirring, until softened. Season and set aside.
- Grease two 23 x 13 cm loaf tins. When
the dough has rise, cut in half and roll each half into a rectangle 35 x
23cm. Brush with the beaten egg, spread with the herb mixture. Roll up
to enclose the filling, pinch the short ends to seal. Place in the tins,
- Cover, leave in a warm place until the
dough rises above the tin rims.
- Preheat the oven to 190oC/375oF/Gas
5. Brush the loaves with milk and bake until the bases sound hollow when
tapped, about 55 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack.