Spicy Sweetcorn Bread Recipe
Ingredients : Makes 9 squares
Canned chilies, drained
Bicarbonate of soda
Cornmeal or polenta
Canned sweetcorn or frozen sweetcorn, thawed
- Preheat the oven to 200oC /
Gas 6. Then line a 23cm square cake tin with greaseproof paper and
lightly grease the paper.
- With a sharp knife, finely chop the
canned chilies and set aside until needed.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs until
frothy, then whisk in the buttermilk. Add the melted butter.
- Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt
together into another large bowl.
- Fold into the buttermilk mixture in
three batches, then fold in the cornmeal or polenta in three batches.
Finally, fold in the chilies and sweetcorn.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and bake until a
skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean, about 25-30 minutes.
- Leave in the tin for 2-3 minutes
before unmoulding. Cut into squares and serve warm.