Savoury Sweetcorn Bread
Ingredients : Makes 9
Eggs, lightly beaten
Cornmeal or polenta
Cheddar cheese, grated
Sweetcorn, fresh or frozen and thawed
- Preheat the oven to 200oC /
Gas 6. Then grease a 23cm square baking tin.
- Combine the eggs and buttermilk in a
small bowl and whisk until well mixed. Set aside.
- Sift together the flour, bicarbonate
of soda, cinnamon and salt. Set aside until needed.
- In another bowl, stir together the
flour, cornmeal or polenta, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- Add the egg mixture and stir with a
wooden spoon to combine. Stir in the cheese and sweetcorn.
- Pour the mixture into the baking tin.
Bake until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean, about 25
- Unmould the bread on to a wire rack
and leave to cool. Cut into squares before serving.