Rye Bread Recipe
Ingredients : Makes one loaf
Butter, cut into pieces
Active dried yeast
Plain flour semolina or flour,
- Mix the rye flour, boiling water,
treacle, butter, salt and caraway seeds in a large bowl. Leave to cool.
- In another bowl, mix the yeast and
lukewarm water and leave to dissolve. Stir into the rye flour mixture.
- Stir in just enough plain flour to
obtain a stiff dough. If it becomes too stiff, stir with your hands.
- Transfer to a floured surface and
knead thoroughly until the dough is no longer sticky and is smooth and
- Place in a greased bowl, cover with a
plastic bag, and leave in a warm place until doubled in volume. Punch
down the dough, cover, and leave to rise again for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180oC/350oF/Gas
4. Dust a baking sheet with semolina or flour.
- Shape the dough into a ball. Place on
the sheet and score several times across the top.
- Bake until the base sounds hollow when
tapped, about 40 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.