Potato Bread Recipe
Ingredients : Makes two 23 x 13cm loaves
Active dried yeast
(reserve 250ml of the cooking liquid)
- Combine the yeast and milk in a large
bowl and leave to dissolve, about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, mash the
- Add the potatoes, oil and salt to the
yeast mixture and mix well. Stir in the reserved cooking water, then
stir in the flour, in six separate batches, to form a stiff dough. Knead
until smooth, return to the bowl, cover and leave in a warm place until
doubled in size, about 1 - 1 1/2 hours.
- Punch down, then leave to rise again
for 40 minutes.
- Grease two 23 x 13cm loaf tins. Roll
the dough into 20 small balls.
- Place two rows of balls in each tin.
Leave until the dough has risen above the rims of the tins.
- Preheat the oven to 200oC/400oF/Gas
6. Bake the dough for 10 minutes, then lower the heat to 190oC/375oF/Gas
- Bake until the bases of the loaves
sound hollow when tapped, about 40 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack.