Pleated Rolls Recipe
Ingredients : Makes 48 rolls
Active dried yeast
- Combine the yeast and 120 ml milk in a
large bowl. Stir and leave for 15 minutes to dissolve. Scaled the
remaining milk, leave to cool for 5 minutes, then beat in the margarine,
sugar, salt and eggs. Leave until lukewarm.
- Pour the milk mixture into the yeast
mixture. Stir in half the flour with a wooden spoon. Add the remaining
flour, 190g at at time, to obtain a rough dough.
- Transfer the dough to a floured
surface, knead until elastic. Place in a clean bowl, cover with a
plastic bag and leave to rise in a warm place until doubled in volume.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter and set
aside. Lightly grease two baking sheets. Punch down the dough and divide
into four equal pieces.
- Roll each piece into a 30 x 20cm
rectangle, about 5mm thick. Cut each of the rectangles into four long
strips, then cut each strip into three 10 x 5cm rectangles.
- Brush each rectangle with melted
butter, then fold the rectangles in half, so that the top extends about
1cm over the bottom.
- Place the rectangles slightly
overlapping on the baking sheet, with the longer sides facing up.
- Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 180oC/350oF/Gas 4. Bake until
golden, 18-20 minutes. Cook slightly before serving.