Plaited Loaf Recipe
Ingredients : Makes one loaf
Active dried yeast
Egg, lightly beaten
Egg yolk, beaten with
Milk, to glaze
- Combine the yeast, honey, milk and
butter. Stir and
leave for about 15 minutes to dissolve.
- In a large bowl, mix together the
flour and salt. Make a central well; add the yeast mixture and egg.
- With a wooden spoon, stir from the
centre, gradually incorporating the flour, to obtain a rough dough.
- Transfer to a floured
surface and knead, until smooth and elastic. Place in a clean bowl,
cover and leave to rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1
- Grease a baking sheet. Punch down
the dough and divide into three equal pieces.
Roll each piece into a long thin strip. Begin plaiting with the centre
strip, tucking in the ends. Cover
loosely and leave to rise in warm place for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile preheat the oven to 190oC
/ 375oF /
- Brush the bread with egg and milk
glaze and bake until golden, about 45-50
- Turn out and cool on a wire rack.