Oatmeal Bread Recipe
Ingredients : Makes two loaves
Dark brown sugar
Active dried yeast
Strong white flour
- Scald the milk. Remove from the heat
and stir in the butter, brown sugar and salt. Leave until lukewarm.
- Combine the yeast and warm water in a
large bowl and leave until frothy. Stir in the milk mixture. Add 275 g
of the oats and enough flour to obtain a soft dough.
- Transfer to a floured
surface and knead, until smooth and elastic. Place in a greased bowl,
cover with a plastic bag and leave until doubled in volume, about 2-3 hours.
- Grease a large baking sheet. Transfer
the dough to a lightly floured surface and divide in half.
- Shape into rounds. Place on the baking
sheet, cover with a dish towel and leave to rise until doubled in
volume, about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 200oC /
Gas 6. Score the tops and sprinkle with the remaining oats.
- Bake until the bases sound hollow when
tapped, about 45-50 minutes.
- Turn out on to wire racks to cool.