Multigrain Bread Recipe
Ingredients : Makes two 22 x 11cm loaves
Active dried yeast
Light brown sugar
Eggs, lightly beaten
- Combine the yeast and water, stir and
leave for about 15 minutes to dissolve.
- Place the oats in a large bowl. Scald
the milk, then pour over the rolled oats.
- Stir in the salt, oil, sugar and
honey. Leave until lukewarm.
- Stir in the yeast mixture, eggs,
wheatgerm, soya and wholemeal flour.
- Gradually stir in enough strong flour
to obtain a rough dough.
- Transfer the dough to a floured
surface and knead, adding flour if necessary, until smooth and elastic.
- Return to a clean bowl, cover and
leave to rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 2 1/2
- Grease two 22 x 11cm loaf tins. Punch down
the risen dough and knead briefly. Then divide the dough into quarters.
Roll each quarter into a cylinder 4cm thick. Twist together two
cylinders and place in a tin, repeat for the remaining cylinders. Cover
and leave to rise until doubled in volume again, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile preheat the oven to 190oC
/ 375oF /
- Bake until bases sound hollow when
tapped lightly, about 45-50
- Turn out and cool on a wire rack.