Mixed dried fruit, such as currants,
chopped dried apricots and dried cherries
Cold strong tea
Dark brown sugar
Small orange, grated rind and juiced
Lemon, grated rind and juiced
Egg, lightly beaten
- In a bowl, mix the dried fruit with
the cold tea and leave to soak overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 180oC / 350oF /
Gas 4. Line the base and sides of a 23 x 13 cm loaf tin with greaseproof paper and then
grease the paper.
- Strain the fruit, reserving the
liquid. In a bowl, combine the sugar, orange and lemon rind, and fruit.
- Pour the orange and lemon juice into a
measuring jug, if the quantity is less than 250ml, then top up with the
soaking liquid. Stir the citrus juices and egg into the dried fruit
- Sift together the flour, baking powder
and salt together into another bowl. Stir into the fruit mixture until
- Transfer the mixture into the tin and
bake until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean, about 1 1/2
- Leave in the tin for 10 minutes before