Date and Pecan Loaf Recipe
Ingredients : Makes one 23 x 13 cm loaf
Chopped stoned dates
Unsalted butter, at room temperature
Dark brown sugar
Egg, at room temperature
Freshly grated nutmeg
Coarsely chopped pecan nuts
- Place the dates in a bowl and pout
over the boiling water. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180oC / 350oF /
Gas 4. Line a 23 x 13 cm loaf tin with greaseproof paper and then
grease the paper.
- With an electric mixer, cream the
butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and brandy,
then set aside.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, salt
and nutmeg together, at least three times. Fold the dry ingredients into
the sugar mixture in three batches, alternating with the dates and
water. Fold in the nuts.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin
and bake until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean, about
- Leave the loaf to cool in the tin for
10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.