Date and Nut Maltloaf Recipe
Ingredients : Makes two 450g loaves
Strong plain flour
Strong plain wholemeal flour
Soft brown sugar
Easy-blend dried yeast
Butter or margarine
Clear honey, to glaze
- Sift the flours and salt into a large
bowl, then tip in the wheat flakes from the sieve. Stir in the sugar and
- Put the butter or margarine in a small
pan with the treacle and malt extract. Stir over a low heat until
melted. Leave to cool, then combine with the milk.
- Stir the milk mixture into the dry
ingredients and knead thoroughly for 15 minutes until the dough is
- Knead in the fruits and nuts. Transfer
the dough to an oiled bowl, cover with clear film and leave in a warm
place for about 1 1/2 hours, until the dough has doubled in size.
- Grease two 450g loaf tins. Knock back
the dough and knead lightly. Divide in half, form into loaves and place
in the tins. Cover and leave in a warm place for 30 minutes, until
risen. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 190oC/375oF/Gas
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until well
risen. Cool on a wire rack.
- Brush with honey while warm.