Cheese Bread Recipe
Ingredients : Makes one 23 x 13cm loaf
Active dried yeast
Strong white flour
Grated mature Cheddar cheese
- Combine the yeast and milk. Stir and
leave for 15 minutes to dissolve. Meanwhile, melt the butter, leave to
cool, then add to the yeast mixture.
- Mix the flour and salt together in a
larger bowl. Make a central well and pour in the yeast mixture. With a
wooden spoon, stir from the centre to obtain a rough dough. If the dough
seems too dry, add 30-45ml water.
- Transfer to a floured surface and
knead until smooth and elastic. Return to the bowl, cover and leave to
rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 2-3 hours.
- Grease a 23 x 13cm loaf tin. Punch
down the dough and knead in the cheese to distribute it evenly. Twist
the dough, form into a loaf shape and place in the tin, tucking the ends
- Leave in a warm place until the dough
rises above the rim of the tin.
- Preheat the oven to 200oC/400oF/Gas
6. Bake for 15 minutes, then lower the heat to 190oC/375oF/Gas
5 and bake until the base sounds hollow when tapped, about a further 30