Italian Almond Biscotti Recipe
Italian Almond Biscotti
Ingredients : Makes 48
Whole unblanched almonds
Bicarbonate of soda
Egg white, lightly beaten
Pinch of salt
Pinch of saffron powder
- Preheat the oven to 190oC/375oF/Gas 5.
Grease and flour two baking sheets.
- Spread the almonds on an ungreased
baking sheet and bake until lightly browned, about 15 minutes.
- When cool, grind 50 g of the almonds
in a food processor, blender or coffee grinder until pulverized.
- Coarsely chop the remaining almonds in
two or three pieces each. Set aside.
- Combine the flour, sugar, salt,
saffron powder, bicarbonate of soda and ground almonds in a bowl and mix
- Make a well in the centre and add the
eggs. Stir to form a rough dough. Transfer to a floured surface and
knead until well blended. Knead in the chopped almonds.
- Divide the dough into three equal
parts. Roll into logs about 2.5 cm diameter. Place on one of the
prepared sheets, brush with the egg white and bake for 20 minutes.
Remove from the oven. Lower the oven temperature to 140oC/275oF/Gas
- With a very sharp knife, cut into each
log at an angle making 1 cm slices.
- Return the slices on the baking sheets
to the oven and bake for 25 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
More Biscuits & Cookies Recipes